of my great interests is the study of history. I am fascinated
by the WHY and HOW this country, this town.
has developed as it has.
My father, born in Ireland came to this country at
the age of 13. My mother's family settled in in Agawam in
early 1700's. My roots are deep here in Agawam.
Born and raised here in
Agawam. I attend and graduated from our Agawam high school. I
continued my business interests and received a Bachelor of Science
in Business Administration from Boston University. After graduating
I worked for The Magovern Co. Inc. until I started my own
business, Neighbor to Neighbor of America Inc, which I have operated
for the past 25 years. I
married my wife Margaret (Peggy) and raised two children
and Carrie Salzer. (Two grandchildren
Emily Kate Salzer & James Stephen Salzer).
the years I've worked with and developed relationships
with many politicians. Governors
Weld, Celluci, Swift and Romney and countless national, state and
appreciation of education stems from my family.
My grandmother, mother and sister were or are currently
school teachers. I was
appointed to the Board of Trustees of
Westfield State College by the Governor of Massachusetts also
demonstrates my respect and appreciation for the schools and the
While I was President of the Agawam City Council
I initiated the forming of the "Financial Oversight Committee”,
the Industrial Relations Committee, the Recreation Committee which
worked closely with Six Flags Corp for the development of Six Flags
and along with many other business and civic initiatives. I mentioned
only a few of the issues and committees I've been participated
on. I would like to say however that I do have a record to run
- Graduate of Agawam
- Dean Jr. College Associates
- Boston University: Bachelor of Science in Business
- Father of two children,
James Magovern and Carrie Salzer.
(Two grandchildren Emily Kate Salzer & James Stephen
- Married to Margaret Magovern
- Lived in Westport Ct and very active in the community
civic and political groups
- Worked for The Magovern Co Inc. as Vice President
District manager of the NY & CT territories.
- Purchased a new resident welcoming service in
1975 based in lower CT.
- Expanded the welcoming service and started Neighbor to Neighbor
of American Inc.Chairman of the
- Longmeadow Bicentennial Committee,
which helped activities for an entire year, which included the
Springfield Symphony holding an outside concert for over 10,000.
Served as Chairman of the Longmeadow
- Republican Town Committee.
to Agawam and have been active in town politics and civic groups.
of the Agawam Historical Association
- Served on the Agawam Conservation Commission
- Elected four times to the Agawam City Council
- Served as President of the City Council
Servered as Vice president of the City Council
- Member of Agawam
Republican Town Committee
- Member of the Agawam Rotary Club served
as President 2007-2008
- Member of Temple Lodge #65 Westport Ct Past Master
- Elected Member of the Massachusetts Republican State Committee
- Founding Governor of the Society of the 17th
Century a local group that portrays the history of the early period
of New England.
- Founding member of the Agawam St Patrick's committeeMember of the Board of Trustees of Westfield
State College elected Vice Chairman
- President of the Dickinson Family Association.
A family association founded in 1859.